We’ve been back at school for two weeks now. They haven’t been full weeks by any means, so we’re still trying to get back in the flow of things. Here’s a little peek at our curriculum for this year.
For our family (group) time we’re using:
- History/Bible/Geography: Simply Charlotte Mason-Genesis through Deuteronomy and Ancient Egypt
- Read Aloud: Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder this term, then Charlotte’s Web, Wind in the Willows, Hans Brinker, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Wizard of Oz, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and Pippi Longstockings
- Artist Study: Monet, Christian Riese Lassen, Maxfield Parrish, P. Buckley Moss, Diego Rivera and Durer (one every six weeks) Using www.famouspoetsandpoems.com for poetry and bios.
- Scripture Study: Starting in Genesis using SCM’s scripture memory system
- Poet Study: Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Robert Browning, Rudyard Kipling, Tennyson and Carl Sanburg (one every six weeks)
- Hymn Study: Selected hymns from SCM recommendations. Using www.songsandhymns.org for music, lyrics and brief history of hymns.
- Nature Study: Using ideas from www.handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com and things we find in our own backyard!
- Composers: Chopin, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Williams, O’Connor and Stravinsky (one every six weeks)
- President & State Study: Read about one per week and complete notebooking page.
- Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream-reading and watching the play on video. Maybe listening to an audio version if I can find one.
- Church History: Continue reading one story per week from Trial and Triumph.
- Fridays are reserved for art and field trips.
Laina is now 8th grade. I can’t believe I’ll have a high schooler next year! She’s using:
- Math: Math U See Algebra I
- Science: Apologia Exploring Creation w/Physical Science
- Spelling: Using SCM’s Spelling Wisdom Book 3 for copywork & dictation
- Grammar: Daily Grams and Easy Grammar with Blake
- Bible: Discovering Doctrine from SCM
- Character Building: Beautiful Girlhood
- Literature: A list of books to choose from. She is currently reading A Day No Pigs Would Die and just completed The Diary of Anne Frank
- Typing: www.goodtyping.com
- Also doing written narration twice a week.
Blake is 5th grade. He’s using:
- Math: Math U See Epsilon-continuing from last year. When he’s completed he’ll move on to Zeta.
- Science: Apologia Exploring Creation w/Zoology-Swimming Creatures and Christian Liberty Press Nature Reader 5
- Spelling: Using SCM’s Spelling Wisdom Book 1 for copywork and dictation
- Character Building: Prudence and the Millers
- Literature: A list of books to choose from. He just finished James and the Giant Peach.
- Typing: Typing Instructor Deluxe
- Cursive: Queen’s Pictures in Cursive Book B
- Written narration twice a week
Connor is now 3rd grade: He’s using:
- Math: Math U See Gamma-although I’m not using the workbook, I am using the teacher’s guide to plan his lessons and the worksheet generator on their website. We are reading living math books and playing games.
- Science: Finishing SCM’s 106 Days of Creation then reading living science books and Christian Liberty Press Nature Reader 3
- Copywork: Queen’s Copywork for Little Boys
- Grammar: Queen’s Language Lessons for the Very Young Book 1-we will finish this and start on Book 2 this year.
- Spelling: Using copywork and dictation found on SCM website.
- Character Building: Wisdom and the Millers
- Literature: A list of books to choose from. He is currently reading The Matchlock Gun.
We are using the Charlotte Mason methods more full time this year. Lots of reading, narration and copywork. Connor really enjoys it. A few months ago he declared he was going to give up reading. A few days ago he exclaimed that he loves reading!
I may have forgotten a few things, and I know this looks like a lot to do, but we don’t do every subject every day. This week will be our first full week and I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes!